Defence Public Library, which is a fine model of architecture, was constructed in April 1999 and inaugurated on 14 Apr 2000. The Library is constructed with cost of Rs. 19 M on the area of 4.3 Kanals, covered area is 19000 Sq Ft. The building is beautifully designed and can be placed amongst the best Libraries of Lahore.
DPL has been providing excellent services and facilities to fulfill the information needs of its clients. The library is equipped with modern IT tools and technologies. It has a collection of over 11,000 volumes comprising printed and electronic information sources. Qualified and experienced staff, dedicated to provide high quality innovative services, manages the library. Its culture of trust, tolerance, sharing and self-servicing makes it a unique library of the area.
The library aims to encourage and support the academic and information needs of DHA residents. It provides a full range of services that include book lending, online information searching, reference services, Internet, photocopying, and viewing of audiovisual materials. DPL also arrange Exhibitions, Seminars, Lectures and sittings with Intellectuals for its members.
This is the main collection comprising high quality selected books. This collection is organized according to Dewey's Decimal Classification Scheme and shelved subjects wise according to call numbers (100-999) pasted on the spine of each item.
A significant number of current reference sources are available on reference shelves. Various electronic databases including Government of Pakistan data, dictionaries, encyclopedias, handbooks, directories, yearbooks, atlases, bibliographies are distinct feature of this collection. The reference books can only be consulted within the library. Uniqueness of DPL is the significant number of books for Medical students from which they are taking benefit.
We have a specially designed colorful and an attractive section for the children where children can sit and enjoy reading. A significant number of sources for children interest are available in the library, which includes Children Fiction, Reference Material, books on Science and Social Sciences, Islamic, Historical and Ethical books.
In order to fulfill the very intensive research needs of its users, the library arrange to acquire research papers, studies, and reports.
Multimedia section provides access to, audiovisual material, CD-ROMs, and DVDs.
The library has been subscribing to national and international journals and magazines. A complete list is available in the online public access catalogue and at the reference desk. The current issues of the periodicals are displayed on special shelves in the main reading area. Back volumes of these periodicals are bound and shelved separately.
The library is maintaining press clippings from three major national dailies. (Under development)
All regular members are entitled to borrow books. Lending privileges differ for various categories. Please inquire at the circulation desk for your eligibility. Renewal and reservation services are also available. To borrow books, please present your library membership card at the circulation desk.
An active help desk provides efficient and reliable services under the supervision of professional librarians. Users may make queries by telephone, fax, and e-mail.
cd-rom & online searching
Four terminals are dedicated for electronic and online databases searching.
In case an item is not located on the shelf, inquiry can be made at the circulation desk. A search will then be initiated and the user will be notified when the required item is found. The found item will be held at the Circulation Desk for two days for the user to pick up.
provision of required item
If a particular item is not available in our collection, endorse in the Book Demand Register, the library will arrange to acquire it.
electronic document supply
If a document or a journal article is not available in DPL or locally, the library has arrangements to provide it through the Internet by paying charges to the service providers. This electronic document supply service has been restricted to research projects.
The library provides a wide range of user education programs to enable them to use the library to its optimum potential. These programs enable users for literature searching from printed and electronic resources. Instructions for small groups can also be arranged on request.
Photocopying machine is available in the library. Photocopy can be provided on payment.
- Lahore University of Management Sciences Library
- The British Public Library
- National Library of Australia
- The Internet Public Library
membership and rules
|Category ||Security (refundable rupees) ||annual fee |
|General ||500 ||150 |
|Student ||500 ||100 |
|Family ||800 ||500 |
|Tenant ||1500 ||500 |
|Temporary ||1000 ||1200 |
|DHA Employee ||Free ||Free |
Users are expected to observe the following rules while using the library services; any violation of these rules will incur appropriate disciplinary action.
- Present your Library membership card while visiting Library.
- Get your card renewed according to date of issue.
- Be in formal dress during visit to Library.
- Male & Female members are not allowed to sit together.
- Leave your personal belongings such as handbags, briefcases, etc., at the library entrance, on your own responsibility. The library disclaims any liability for loss or damage.
- Submit any book or object for inspection, when requested by the library staff.
- Do not write, underline or mark any book. Library books are carefully examined on return and the borrower will be held responsible for the damage.
- After reading, leave books on the table. Please do not shelve the books.
- Complete silence should be observed except for brief and subdued talk with the library staff.
- Drinks and eatables are not allowed in the library.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited inside the library.
- Keep your mobiles off within the library premises
- Do not change configuration of computers or any other equipment in the library.
- Monday to Saturday 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Friday 9:00 AM to 12.00 Noon
- Monday to Saturday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
- Friday 8:00 PM to 12:00 Noon
- From 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
|ADDRESS ||: ||Defence Public Library Complex Street No 38 , Sector Z Defence Housing Authority Lahore Cantonment |
|PHONE ||: ||+92 42 5893123 |
|FAX ||: ||+92 42 5734031 |
Click here to download the Defence Library Membership Form / Fee Structure